Convertion of time with NEW_TIME

  • From: Luc Demanche <lucdemanche@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracledba@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:27:23 -0500

Hi gurus,

- Oracle 8.1.7

I need to convert the local time to GMT, I want to use the NEW_TIME
function, but I need the abbreviation for the current timezone (EST).

I was looking with SESSIONTIMEZONE from dual, but it gives me the
offset, not the timezone abbreviation.  The code may be distributed
across time zones so I must find a dynamic solution.

Because we still are with Oracle8i, I can't use TIMESTAMP datatype ...

Can you help me either a) get the abbreviated time zone region name,
or b) tell me another way of converting any DATE to GMT?

Thanks.

--
Luc Demanche
Oracle DBA