RE: Converting from physical to logical standby

  • From: "Orr, Steve" <sorr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:55:19 -0600

I know about the datatype "limitations" with LSBs but that's not a
concern here. (I'm thinking the usage of NCLOB, LONG, LONG RAW, BFILE,
and ROWID datatypes should be relatively rare.) Other than that what are
some of the "many restrictions" to which you refer? If datatype failures
aren't an issue what else could make LSB less dependable than PSB? I've
had SPOFs with straight RMAN backups but I monitor them daily and
resolve them so I figure I would do the same if there was a problem with
an RMAN backup due to a standby DB failure.=20

I know that LSB uses LogMiner SQL Apply under the covers so it's not as
efficient as straight PSB redo application but the overhead for a
standby database seems to be so light that I can't imagine it would be
much of an issue. Has anyone experienced standby database server
performance problems with LSBs?=20

I'm getting ready to test LSBs and switchovers in my test environment. I
have a  Python script which automagically performs the switchover
complete with error checking and it works great. Any suggestions for my
testing?=20

Steve Orr
Bozeman, Montana