Convert 2-node RAC to single instance

  • From: Tony Sequeira <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 19:09:42 +0000

Hi,

Oracle 9.2.0.6.0 EE - I know
Win 2003 Server SE SP1

I've been asked to look at converting the the 2 node RAC, to a single
instance database, running on node 1 of the old RAC system.  SAN
hardware getting old, replacement and spares difficult to find.  There
must be a fall back to the original RAC DB if performance suffers.

My initial thoughts are to clone the database onto a new instance, and
change the global tnsnames.ora, so the client application will not
notice the difference.

However, there is a dataguard standby, which will also be impacted,
which will need to some kind of action, whatever is done (I believe).

Anyone got better, brighter ideas?  Or can even point out something I
have forgotten, or don't know about.

This is at the ideas stage right now.  Should be pretty straightforward,
right?

Thanks.

--
S. Anthony Sequeira