Consolidation and Timezones

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 13:19:16 +0100

Hi all

Has anybody had to consolidate a number of databases from servers with
disparate server timezone settings to a single platform - either RAC or 12c
plugin databases. It seems to me that every database application under the
sun makes liberal use of sysdate and/or systimestamp and so relies on the
underlying server o/s timezone. if you have had this issue, what did you
do?   Alternatives that seem viable to me.

   - listener per timezone for cases where the code originates at a remote
   client.
   - reduced number of consolidation platfotrms - one per timezone.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA