Connecting to a RAC instance using JDBC:thin driver

  • From: "Steve Wales" <sjwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 15:58:22 -0700

We support an ERP application that uses the jdbc thin client to connect to
Oracle Databases.

Historically it's just been done using a single instance of a database and
the connect string looks something like this:

jdbc:oracle:thin:@node1.company.com:1521:orasid1

One customer for this vendor decided that they wanted to use RAC for their
Prod database for the failover protection.

We put together the connect string (which works as a valid connect string
when not used in this app startup scripting) as so:

jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ENABLE=BROKEN)(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOC
OL=TCP)(HOST=node1.company.com)(PORT=1521))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=node
2.company.com)(PORT=1521))(FAILOVER=on)(LOAD_BALANCE=on))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERV
ER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=orasid1)))

It's running on a Linux environment.

The wrapper scripting for the startup of the application infrastructure
doesn't support parentheses because no one at the vendor had ever considered
RAC as an option.

Is there a way to pass through a connect string to a RAC database, via the
jdbc thin client without using parentheses in the connect string.

(We have tried escaping the parentheses and using double quotes but the way
they have their infrastructure built, it just doesn't seem to want to work)

Thanks
Steve