Re: Confusing update issue!

  • From: Mark Richard <mrichard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EVAD@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:28:43 +1000

Hi Denham,

No, I've never seen anything like this before but my low tech way of
debugging it would be to place select statements between a handful of
updates to try and understand the process..  Even if you keep selecting the
first row to be modified.  The file isn't so large that the same row is
being updated twice is it?

I guess a slightly more high tech approach would be to place a materialized
view log onto the table so that you can then parse through all changes to a
particular row.  The ordering of the records and details of what changed
when may give you a good clue as to where to look.

My gut feel is that there will be a quite innocent and simple explanation
once you are able to understand how many times the row is being modified
and when exactly the magic date is being set - either of my two suggestions
above should help that diagnosis.

Regards,
      Mark.

                      "Denham Eva"

                      <EVAD@xxxxxxxxxx>         To:
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                  cc:

                      oracle-l-bounce@fr        Subject:  Confusing update
issue!
                      eelists.org

                      06/09/2004 18:26

                      Please respond to

                      EVAD

Hello Group,

Need an explanation for the following occurrence.

We have a large script doing approximately 2000 updates.

Within this script there is a update of a date column with a date such
as '8-SEP-2004'

[snip]
Has anyone experienced this before? Any explanations?

Is there something else I can try to debug this issue that I have not
tried?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
message to anyone.
In such a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply e-mail or by telephone on (03) 9612-6999 or (61) 3 9612-6999.
Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet
e-mail for messages of this kind.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate
to the official business of Transurban Infrastructure Developments Limited and
CityLink Melbourne Limited shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
them.