RE: Concurrent Update Design

  • From: "Dimensional DBA" <dimensional.dba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Oracle-l Digest Users'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 09:44:26 -0700

We used the SKIP LOCKED methodology on the equivalent of a queue processing
with 100's of worker processes and processing over a billion transactions
per day (80% peak for 14 hours per day or about 15.7K tps).

It works fine.

There is a point that a single queue becomes a problem in extreme scaling
and you may need to partition the data, at the queue layer, at the table
layer or with multiple tables to decrease the scan time across the locked
rows.

Matthew Parker

Chief Technologist

425-891-7934 (cell)