Re: Compressing RMAN backup pieces at O/S level

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Andre van Winssen" <dreveewee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 20:00:35 +0000

I did intend to add that an upgrade to 10g, especially given 9i's desupport
in 6 months, is a sensible alternative. On windows of course there is no
need for the external utility in the first place. I believe the same applies
to solaris 10.

On 2/7/07, Andre van Winssen <dreveewee@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We use 10g rman binary compression, ie RMAN> backup as compressed
backupset database;, a lot for our 10.2 databases because it is easy to
use and enables us to keep 2 to 3 times more backups online on disk. On Win
it isn't so easy to use external compress utilities as part of the
Oracle backup transaction.

Regards,
Andre