RE: Composite Index Order VS Query Order ?? , Tuning Docs URL ?.

  • From: "Cary Millsap" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <"undisclosed-recipients:"@www.hotsos.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:40:50 -0500

1. No. The order of keys in a composite index does NOT need to be in the
same order as the ANDed predicates in your WHERE clause. Now, if you =
have an
ORDER BY clause, it will speed your query if the columns there and the
composite index columns are listed in the same order (because it will =
save a
sort operation).

2. Check Dan Tow's "Tuning SQL" book, published by O'Reilly and =
Associates.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 7/20 Cleveland, 8/10 Boston, 9/14 San =
Francisco
- SQL Optimization 101: 7/26 Washington DC, 8/16 Minneapolis, 9/20 =
Hartford
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...

#1) Saw a table where the "order of query" on the table and the "order =
of
key"
are different . For faster results shouldn't they be in the same order.

for eg:

Select ...   where A.ID =3D ... and A.Name =3D ...

The Key order on this table A  NOW is Name & ID Order .=20
Shouldn't they be in the order ID , Name ?..

#2) Can anybody recommend me any site , where I will get reliable
information on Tuning PL/SQL ?.

With thanks in advance=20

Ranjeesh