Re: Comparing two rowids

  • From: "Arul Ramachandran" <contactarul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:41:41 -0800

Guys,

Thanks.

Say a table spans four datafiles, rowid being the physical address of the
row, comparing the rowid of one row in datafile 1 with the rowid of another
row in datafile 4 did not make sense to me. I think it is kind
of comparing my street address in CA with Jared's street address in OR.
:-)

Cheers!
Arul

On 11/29/06, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree with Jared that different results looks like a bug, I also
agree however with Arul that the comparison operation seems
meaningless. It would seem in the same class as < comparisons for
colours

On 11/28/06, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/28/06, Arul Ramachandran <contactarul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Oracle 10.2.0.1:
> >

> To me comparing  two rowids does not make sense, I can't see how one
rowid
> > be greater than another? But then I see a ML note 2714430.8: "Bug
2714430
> > - Wrong results from ROWID comparison to rowid with slot#>32767" that
> talks
> > about rowid comparison.
> >
> > Any insights on this?
> >

> I thought perhaps the data type for a ROWID in a table might
> differ from the data type used for a transient ROWID.
> (this happens with DATE types)
>
> Not so.
>
> 14:32:23 SQL>l
>   1*  select dump(rid1), dump(rowid) from dummy
> 14:32:24 SQL>/
>
> DUMP(RID1)

> DUMP(ROWID)

> Typ=69 Len=10: 0,0,163,228,2,129,27,59,0,2
> Typ=69 Len=10: 0,0,215,37,1,0,1,14,0,0
>

> 1 row selected.
>
> Both the same type.  Sure looks like a bug.
>
> --
> Jared Still

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA