RE: Combo Oracle/SQLServer enterprise DBA Salary Info anywhere (or willing to share a range) ?

  • From: Paul Barrett <tinojam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Zelli, Brian" <Brian.Zelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:03:42 -0400

To them you are still a "DBA". If they had broken it down into Oracle DBA
and SQL Server DBA then they wouldn't have a leg to stand on... they would
see the dual role in your title and should pay you more for that. Most
companies hide behind that... it really gets bad when you really know and
administer 3 database platforms and get paid for 1.
I will just blame it on the economy... less to do more! :)
On Sep 20, 2011 11:52 AM, "Zelli, Brian" <Brian.Zelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I have been doing both for 10 years. A company drools when you say you
have proficient experience at both(Oracle 17 years). Did it make any
difference in salary? Nope. Just that they were getting a "twofer". And they
needed one. We have other DBAs here who are proficient on one or the other
and they have the same title, less exp and paid the same or more. So we just
train them? Then they'll know how to do both, right? I was offered a job
that was to manage 220 SQL server boxes and 1 oracle exadata box for 105K.
> I said more.....they said no.
>
> ciao,
> Brian

(or willing to share a range) ?

> I am curious to see what people say about this one because I play both
roles.
> To me it all depends on the (1) your level of experience, (2) your
percentage of responsibility on each platform and (3) if the company is on
the cheap side :) On Sep 20, 2011 11:33 AM, "Andrew Kerber" <
ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

>>> Anyone have a link to salary info for a combination for combo Oracle
>>> and SQL Server DBA? Or, might be willing to share a salary range
>>> (with me, not the list) if you are responsible for both? :) Looks
>>> like my job is changing in that I am _the_ database administrator
>>> moving forward with someone who can backfill as needed except in
>>> emergencies.
>>>
>>> Any help is much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> --

information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or
agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended
recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you.