Re: Clusterware on RH 4.0 update 3 fails miserably

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 22:43:11 -0500

On 02/01/2007 12:03:49 PM, Matthew Zito wrote:
> I spoke to our engineers over here - the missing RPMs is a bug in
> cluvfy.  Do you have logs of the CRS install attempts you could share?
> Those typically have more informative information than just the cluvfy
> results.

Matt, it is fixed. crs_stat and crsctl are both reporting CRS up and running.
This software could definitely use an improvement with regard to the
installation
procedure. The "cluvfy" is, however, still showing the failure. Oracle analyst
told
me to to ignore the output, so I did. The problem was in raw device protection
(strange, given the fact that CRS runs as root) and X11 forwarding.
The "cluvfy" utility is a complex utility with the express purpose of deceiving
the enemy and not embolden the terrorists.
I couldn't proceed with ASM installation today as there was a backup failure.
The @#$% tape was mounted 400+ times and NetBackup couldn't write to it any
more.
Getting it out of the library is, apparently, a procedure not unlike a root
canal.
After that, Java developers were faced with a beast they knew nothing about: a
Perl script. They needed someone to tell them about PERL5LIB, as DBI, DBD,
Date::Manip,
MIME::Lite and few other things were installed in a non-standard place. In
other words,
I had a busy day but all is well now. I even got an idea for punishing naughty
Java
developers: force them to read Perl books, books by Schwartz and Conway should
do the
trick. I hope that that doesn't qualify as a cruel and unusual punishment.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com