Re: Cluster Interconnects configured in single-instance DB

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 12:53:28 -0500

Mark,

I'm not sure I agree with that theory.

When an instance uses ASM, part of the ASM codepath is executed by the server process when accessing ASM. So, it makes some sense to me that the RDBMS server would have some potential need to access the interconnect when using ASM. I tend to agree with your (Jeff) theory that it's got cluster interconnects defined because of the clustered ASM interaction. That makes more sense to me than because of the binaries it uses. I suppose the test would be to install a new O_H, do "make -f ins_rdbms.mk rac_off", then start up this DB using those binaries to see what happens. My bet is that if you disable the RAC option and have clustered ASM, you won't be able to start the instance, but I don't have a suitable test environment to find out for sure. Hopefully someone does or I'll have to build one and find out because now I have to know the answer :).

Dan

Bobak, Mark wrote:
Well, it can't be really *using* it, in the sense that it's got no other nodes
to talk to, but perhaps the RAC-aware binaries have a code path that detects
the interconnects (apparently by reading the OCR?) and lists them in that V$
view?