Re: Cloning from physical standby

  • From: Michael Brown <dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:36:01 -0500

You are not creating new controlfiles for the standby, so you do not want to
activate it.

What you are asking about is exactly how I used to do clones in an 8.1.7 and
then 9.2 environment.

I agree with the suggestion that  rman duplicate may be the easier way to go
today although a piece of this is how you will copy.  If you are on a SAN that
supports read/write snapshots and you are cloning often, shutting down the
standby long enough to get a fresh snapshot  is a very easy way to clone (be
aware of how your snapshots work when data changes on both the source and
target or you can be shocked at the space required).

--
Michael Brown
dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx