RE: Clearing stateless events in OEM 12c

  • From: Peter Sharman <pete.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Finn.Jorgensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "oracle Freelists (Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:02:55 -0700 (PDT)

Actually, the support answer is technically correct, if a little undiplomatic
(that's good coming from an Aussie!)  ;)

A couple of points on this:

Firstly, alert log monitoring is a bit special.  There is a specific subset of
Oracle errors (such as ORA-600, etc.)  that are handled as ADR incidents.
These are considered critical errors in software.   For this subset of errors,
an ADR incident and also an EM12c incident is automatically created for each
occurrence and a Problem object (in EM12c) is also created for it.  The Problem
object is meant to represent the underlying cause of these incidents.   The
Problem object will have a count and link to its associated incidents.  So if
another instance of the same ORA-600 error occurs, then another ADR incident
and EM 12c incident is created and the incident count in the Problem object is
incremented to 2.  To resolve the Problem,  users are expected to use the
Problem object in EM and use Support Workbench to package the diagnostic data
and send them to Support.

Secondly, for other errors in the alert log (i.e. errors are not considered
critical errors in software), then you can choose to create an Incident for it
in EM.  If the same error occurs in the future, then there is no automatic
grouping of these errors into one incident (an enhancement request you might
want to log here is that there should really be one metric alert for the same
alert log error and we should just count the no. of occurrences of that error.)

Thirdly, for this specific case - manual clearing of this 'stateless' metric
alert - then this is the solution:
1) Use EMCLI clear_stateless_alert ==> use this option to do bulk clearing of
these metric alerts
2) Create a rule to automatically clear the alert log metric alert after it is
has been open for xx days This avoids the accumulation of these alerts if
someone has forgotten to clear them after they've resolved the issue
3) In the next patchset,  the Incident Manager UI will allow you to bulk select
and manually clear incidents (this assumes that it contains events that are
manually clear-able).

Thirdly, as you're no doubt well aware the UI has been completely rewritten
from earlier releases.  My personal perspective is that the UI is a huge
improvement over earlier versions.  Of course, that doesn't mean it's perfect
by any means, so if there are operations like this that are problematic for
you, log it as an enhancement request for the UI.

Thirdly,

Pete

Pete Sharman
Principal Product Manager
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61262924095 | | Fax: +61262925183 | | Mobile: +61414443449

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA