Clarification on conventional backup

  • From: "Ram K" <lambu999@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 10:22:48 -0600

Listers,

I am on a new assigment where they are still using user managed recovery in
9i. Before I move to RMAN, I was looking at the scripts to see things are OK
as is. The way it is set up now, it backs up the datafiles, arch logs after
doing the switch and then the control file to trace. I thought the control
file would have to be backed up in binary mode to perform a complete
recovery. Would we not lose SCN information if control files are backed up
to trace?  With control file trace backup, I think that the database has to
be opened with 'reset logs'  losing any latest changes to the database.

Can you please confirm. Thanks.

--
Thanks,
Ram.