RE: Choosing data file size for a multi TB database?

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <BranimirP@xxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:03:06 -0700

You might want to consider "largefile" tablespaces if you're using 10g - these
are tablespaces that have one and only one datafile, which can be up to
4,294,967,296 (roughly 4 billion - a.k.a 4GB) BLOCKS, which means a single file
can be 8-to-128TB (terabytes) depending on your block size (2k to 32k).  The
other nice thing about these is that you can control the files with ALTER
TABLESPACE commands, e.g. ALTER TABLESPACE BIG1 RESIZE 10TB;  ALTER TABLESPACE
BIG2 AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 100G MAXSIZE 10TB;

Disclaimer: I've never actually used largefile tablespaces myself - just read
about them :-)