Re: Checkpoint in RAC

  • From: "K Gopalakrishnan" <kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sulkdnl@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 01:08:24 -0600

Ahmed,

It is called two pass recovery.. I had discussed this in greater
details in my RAC book. If you don't have the book handy,here is the
relevant excerpt

(3) Two Pass recovery in RAC
Two pass recovery in RAC has some additional steps to be performed
since multiple instances (threads) may have failed or crashed. This
involves reading and merging all the redo information for a particular
block from all the threads. This is called as a Log Merge or a Thread
Merge operation.
One of the bigger challenges in RAC recovery is that a block could
have been modified in any of the instances (dead or alive). This was
not the case in OPS. Hence, in RAC, getting hold of a "latest" version
of that dirty block needs an intelligent and efficient mechanism that
completes the identification of the latest version of that block and
processing it for recovery. The introduction of PI images and BWRs
makes it possible to significantly reduce recovery time and
efficiently recover from an instance failure or crash.
(4) First Pass:
This pass does not perform the actual recovery but merges and reads
redo threads to create a hash table of blocks that need recovery that
are not known to have been written back to the datafiles. This is
where Incremental Checkpoint SCN is very crucial since the RBA denotes
a starting point for recovery. All modified blocks are added to the
recovery set. As BWRs are encountered, the file, DBA and SCN of each
change vector is processed to limit the number of blocks to actually
recover in the next pass. A block need not be recovered if its BWR
version is greater than the latest PI present in any of the buffer
caches.
Redo threads from all failed instances are read and merged by SCN,
beginning at the RBA of the last incremental checkpoint for each
thread.When the first change to a data block is encountered in the
merged redo stream, a block entry is added in the recovery set data
structure. Entries in the recovery set are organized in a hash table.

(4) Second Pass
In this stage, SMON re-reads the merges redo stream (by SCN) from all
threads needing recovery. The redolog entries are again compared
against the recovery set built in I pass and if there is a match they
are applied to the in-memory buffers as in single pass recovery. The
buffer cache is flushed and the checkpoint SCN for each thread is
updated upon successful completion. This is also the single pass
thread recovery if only one pass is to be done.

--
Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan

Author: Oracle Database 10g RAC Handbook, Oracle Press 2006