Characterset / conversion problem

  • From: "BERNHARD Nora" <nora.bernhard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:27:23 +0200

Hi all,

I am planning to move a production database from 8.1.7 to 10g, where both the
database characterset and the national characterset is specified as
WE8MSWIN1252. The data contains several special characters (umlauts). Because
for this version it isn't anymore possible to define another national
characterset but AL16UTF16 and UTF8, I tried both of these, but nevertheless my
data is being converted at import which results in loss of umlauts.

*) Oracle 8.1.7:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PARAMETER                      VALUE
------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS         .,
NLS_CHARACTERSET               WE8MSWIN1252
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET         WE8MSWIN1252

*) Oracle 10g:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PARAMETER                      VALUE
------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS         .,
NLS_CHARACTERSET               WE8MSWIN1252
NLS_NCHAR_CONV_EXCP            FALSE
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET         UTF8

*) Import logfile:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Export file created by EXPORT:V08.01.07 via conventional path
import done in US7ASCII character set and UTF8 NCHAR character set
import server uses WE8MSWIN1252 character set (possible charset conversion)
export client uses WE8MSWIN1252 character set (possible charset conversion)
export server uses WE8MSWIN1252 NCHAR character set (possible ncharset
conversion)

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks :)

Nora Bernhard
OE Informationstechnologie - Systemadministration
Tel: +43 (0)316 8035 - 1349
Fax: +43 (0)316 8035 - 661349
mailto: nora.bernhard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Steiermärkische Gebietskrankenkasse