Character set conversion and database size

  • From: "Schauss, Peter (ESS)" <peter.schauss@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 19:08:44 +0000

Oracle 12.1.0.2 on Red Hat Linux.

IT management is pushing us to migrate our databases to the Unicode character
set ( NLS_CHARACTERSET= WE8MSWIN1252 to AL32UTF8). One of my internal
customers is concerned that conversion to multibyte characters will
dramatically increase the size of the database. I know that for VARCHAR2s
Oracle only allocates storage for the actual characters stored in the string
regardless maximum defined size of the column. Does the same idea apply a
VARCHAR2 column whose contents can be coded as single bytes or does "Hello
world!" actually take twice as much space in Unicode as it does in the default
character set?

Thanks,
Peter