Changing Oracle gid and uid?

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 12:17:22 -0400

RHEL3ES
Oracle 9205

OK, I have a new nfs mount on 3 db servers; dbA, dbB, dbC.
All the these server need to fully share the files.
2 of the 3 servers (dbA, dbB) oracle OS users has the same gid and uid numbers
and the other server (dbC) is different.

So when I use the nfs from servers dbA and dbB they see the files as owned by
oracle, but from server dbC the files are owned by another user (the use with
that uid in the local passwd / group file).
And the opposite happens when pushing a file from dbC, when  dbA and dbB look
at it.

What is my work-around?

The SA came up with the idea of changing Oracle's gid and uid on dbC.

I have been in this situation before, when someone broke oracle by changing the
oracle gid and uid, but I just changed it back to what is was.
However, during my debugging I found this (but did not have to use it);

        The DBA group is compiled into the 'oracle' executable....
        The actual group being used as this DBA group can be checked thus:
                cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib
                cat config.[cs]
        ...be sure you are using the group defined in this file relink the
Oracle executable as below.
                rm config.o
                make -f ins_rdbms.mk config.o ioracle

So I guess if I change the oracle gid and uid then I would do the process above?
I'm sure I would also have to $> chown -R oracle.dba *.* for all the oracle
files as they would have the old gid and uid number showing and not the new gid
and uid numbers?

This sound correct.
Anybody done this?...got any notes instructions?

Thanks,

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA