RE: Changing Character Set

  • From: "Justin Cave" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:56:34 -0600

I'm not sure whether you intended to send a different Metalink note, but
234381.1 covers how to move an Oracle 7 database with the AL24UTFFSS to 9i
with a character set AL32UTF8 by going through 8i (since AL24UTFFSS isn't a
valid character set in 9i).

In almost every case, you would not want to skip the superset check.  When
you change the database character set, Oracle is only updating the internal
data structures, it is not updating any of the actual data in the database.
Without the binary superset check, you can very, very easily corrupt some or
all of your data.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC