Re: Change username in DBA_USERS

  • From: Sunil Bhola <oraclebhola@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chiragdba@xxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 04:15:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Chirag,

I have did the same as you did, but mine is working.. I think there is some
problem with your end...

Here is the case study :

SQL> select name from v$database;
NAME
---------------------------
VED
SQL> select user#,name from user$ where name like 'SCO%';
     USER#
----------
NAME
        59
SCOTT

SQL> update user$ set name='HERMESNEW' where user#=64;
0 rows updated.
SQL> updated user$ set name='SUNIL' where user#=59;
SP2-0734: unknown command beginning "updated us..." - rest of line ignored.
SQL> update user$ set name='SUNIL' where user#=59;
1 row updated.
SQL> commit;
Commit complete.
SQL> select user#,name from user$ where name like 'HER%';
no rows selected
SQL> ed
Wrote file afiedt.buf
  1* select user#,name from user$ where name like 'SUN%'
SQL> /
     USER#
----------
NAME
        59
SUNIL

SQL> alter user sunil identified by sunil;
User altered.
SQL> connect sunil/sunil
Connected.
SQL>

QUERIES in Oracle, Feel free to Join:

Regards,

Sunil Bhola

Oracle_Expert, Moderator

Chirag DBA <chiragdba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I am changing the name of user in USER$ table.

SQL> select user#,name from user$ where name like 'SCO%';

     USER# NAME
---------- ------------------------------
        59 SCOTT
        64 SCOTT1

SQL> update user$ set name='HERMESNEW' where user#=64;

1 row updated.

SQL> commit;

Commit complete.

SQL> select user#,name from user$ where name like 'SCO%';

     USER# NAME
---------- ------------------------------
        59 SCOTT

SQL> select user#,name from user$ where name like 'HER%';

     USER# NAME
---------- ------------------------------
        65 HERMES
        64 HERMESNEW

SQL> alter user hermesnew identified by chirag;

User altered.

SQL> conn hermesnew/chirag
ERROR:
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.
SQL> select username from dba_users;
SP2-0640: Not connected
SQL> conn / as sysdba
Connected.

SQL> select username from dba_users where username like 'HE%';

USERNAME
HERMES

This seems not to be permanent. Which view will help me to change it
permanently?

Regards  --  Chirag

Yahoo! for Good