Re: Change data capture

  • From: "Thomas Day" <tomdaytwo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bagavath@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 12:23:06 -0400

Yes.  That's how we're capturing our changed data.  The MV logs have a
perfect record of inserts, updates and deletes.  We have an update cycle and
at the end of the cycle we truncate the MV logs before there are new changes
but there's no reason (except overhead) that you can't delete records from
the MV logs as you process them.

On 5/29/07, Bagavath <bagavath@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My apologies in advance if this is an absurd question !!

Can we use MV Logs for capturing change data, just like a log table based
on trigger ?  I dont want to create MVs though, as the source table is huge
( would reach 250 GB in an 6 months as per our initial estimate, at which it
will maintained by periodic purging) and this is already a logical standby
for the main application db. What I am thinking is to use the MLOG$ table as
a source to extract the changed records every cycle and then delete the
extracted records from this log table. Also I dont think I can purge the
log, as transactions at that moment will be lost in that case. Not sure if
this is a workable idea..

Since the source is a logical standby database , triggers/cdc/streams are
not working.

Any suggestions please ?

Thanks in Advance
Bagavath