Re: Change Data Capture for Processes and not other databases

  • From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:04:15 -0400

I don't like AQ for this. Here are my reasons. My understanding is that CDC
is built on top of queues which is why I thought of it.
1. I can't guarantee the consumed records will make it to the downstream
DB. We do not have a 3 phase commit. So I need to leave open the
possibility to get new records
2. I have to store the records in a table anyway. So I have to insert the
records and push them to a queue. Rate of insert is about 200
records/second. A downstream DB may come online and need to get a broad
range of data.
Plus by rule we have to store it.
3. I have thousands of consumers. I am concerned about testing this since I
don't have a way to simulate even a fraction of this.
4. Another company has the production support contract. The level of
support we get for this is basically 'db is up so you are good'. anything
else requires tickets, escalation requests, drama, and issues. I have
supported
AQ in the past and occassionaly have had some issues with it. Usually
developer created. Concerned about the operational support on this.
5. I have very strict purging rules. Not sure if I can properly enforce
this with queues. That means if someone does not consume the data (have to
purge every hour for data that is a few days old) then it has to go. I am
purging with partitioning and my purge date stamp is not the same as when I
get the data. I am concerned about mass popping data from queues. This is
basically just an ETL database to temporarily house data.
6. We are into the development cycle and my developers would prefer to only
have to adjust sql. if I have them pop, then they have to format the data.
There are time issues.