RE: Chained vs. migrated rows - Any easy way to tell the difference?

  • From: "Elliott, Patrick" <patrick.elliott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx" <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "mwf@xxxxxxxx" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:07:38 -0500

You might consider increasing your pctincrease on these tables to prevent the
chained rows from coming back after the reorg.  This can happen if rows are
inserted with null values and then populated afterwards.

Pat

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:27:51 -0400
From: <Jay.Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Jay.Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> We have two databases that are showing very high number of/ table
fetch
> continued row/ in v$sysstat each day and before doing a move or
> export/import or copying the rows off and reinserting them I was
hoping
> to find out if I'd really gain anything.
>
> All I found in the Oracle docs was the suggestion to assume they're
> migrated and if the fix doesn't work then that means they were really
> chained ( Note:122020.1).
>
> I'm considering using length() on all the columns and adding them
> together to find any rows that wouldn't fit in a block but was
wondering
> if there was an easier way.  Besides, one of the tables (third party
> app) has a long raw column so there's no easy way to get the column
> length there.
>

> Thanks,
> Jay Miller

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE]

Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is
intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and
may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or
it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority,
you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any
manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your
records.

To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link
or manually copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser:
http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com