Re: Chained vs. migrated rows - Any easy way to tell the difference?

  • From: Steve Adams <steve.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jay.Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:42:06 +1100

Hi Jay,

You can tell the difference between row migration and chaining by listing the chained rows with ANALYZE table LIST CHAINED ROWS and then fetching the first column from each "chained row" in a single query. The count of continued row fetches will be incremented for every migrated row, but not for most chained rows (unless the first cut point happens to fall with the first column, which should be rare).

@   Regards,
@   Steve Adams
@   http://www.ixora.com.au/         - For DBAs
@   http://www.christianity.net.au/  - For all