RE: Certifications don't count!

  • From: "Boyle, Christopher" <Christopher.Boyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:58:17 -0400

I am sure we all know someone that 'earned' their certification without
touching a database just as I am sure we all know fantastic DBAs that
aren't certified.  .  I got my certification VERY early in my career.
This was a good thing because the tests are looking for the book
answers.  As I progressed I learned how to do the same task in more than
one way but those newly learned methods would have been 'wrong' answers
for the test.  From my experience an experienced oracle DBA or
Application developer would have a much more difficult time passing the
test for that reason.  Also from my experience having the certification
qualified me to be considered for some jobs that I otherwise would not
have been.  I still had to go to an interview and prove that I actually
know what I am doing.

Quite frankly, if you are basing a hiring decision on a single factor
then you deserve what you get