Re: Centralized names resolution

  • From: Michael Ray <topshot.rhit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 09:51:25 -0500

Easy Connect does make life easier for most people, but the great
majority of our apps use a generic username/pw which is kept in ini
files so they automatically connect to Oracle when started. Thus, if
the server name ever changed, we'd still have to update all the ini
files instead of the tnsnames.ora files.

This is a production facility with barebones IT staff so I'm trying to
make this as painless as possible. I think having the tnsnames.ora
file on the Oracle server (Win 2003) as a share we can map to would be
the simplest to setup and maintain. Most of their servers are Netware.