Re: Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: qnxodba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 23:52:12 +0000

That reminds of the last time we interviewed for a developer position.

I devised a progressive test involving 2 or 3 tables.  I believe there
were 5 scenarios for which a SQL statement had to be written.

If they couldn't write simple SQL, there were not qualified.

The final puzzle involved and outer join and wasn't really too hard.

One candidate actually argued with me about the necessity of
an outer join.

Didn't matter if he was or was not correct, the fact that he argued
with the interviewer lent some insight into the kind of cow-orker
he would be.

--
Jared Still