Re: Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA

  • From: rachel carmichael <wisernet100@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davewendelken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:18:09 -0500

I wish it were that easy  -- HR isn't impressed by books, papers or
presentations. Believe me, I can attest to that.

DBAs may know who you are if you've done those things but HR couldn't
care less. They base whether or not you can be hired at the
"executive" level (meaning those "high" salaries IT people get) by the
check boxes.

Case in point. I have a solid page of presentations, papers, books on
my resume. For one interview, all they wanted to know was "does she
have a college degree"

yep I have one. from 1975. happens to actually be a Computer Science
degree. But most of what I learned for that degree is totally useless
and.or irrelevant to what I do today . But the fact that I had one was
more important than any book or reputation I might have