RE: Case for Index Organized table?

  • From: "Elliott, Patrick" <patrick.elliott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:25:13 -0500

I would make it a regular table.  If you make it an IOT, then you are
forcing twice the I/O on it.  You have to ask yourself the question, "Do
I always want to use an index when referencing this table?"  If the
answer is, "Yes" then make it an IOT.  If this is a data warehousing
type application, or reporting database scenario, then you may want to
reference many columns in this table at once or even all of the rows in
the entire table for a query that needs a whole day.  If this is true,
then maybe an IOT is not a good option.

Pat