Re: Capacity Planner

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sony Kristanto <zettira@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:03:56 -0500

Sony,

> I try to use mercury data load runner. But I'm not sure whether it can checks
> Oracle IAS server.

I think there is a lot about your situation that you aren't telling
us. With no real info to go on, you aren't likely to receive useful
input from us. I think there are two separate areas. Capacity planning
can mean specifying the system configuration before an application is
put into production. However it can also mean predicting the future
for an existing production system. The approaches taken are quite
different. Since you mention Load Runner, I assume that you do not yet
have a production system. When you mean "checks IAS", are you
interested whether it can put a load against IAS or if it can monitor
IAS performance?
     I have not had the delight of predicting a new system's
performance. Perhaps someone who has had that pleasure recently will
respond to your question.
     I feel that the best function of a tool like Load Runner is to
simulate a production load on a system. I would put some thought into
the jobs you ask it to execute, and put even more thought into how you
interpret the results. You may even want to consider analyzing whether
the application itself is optimized for performance. Besides the
performance indicators that the tool can provide, you should also do
your own performance analysis using system statistics, Oracle
statistics, etc. Review Cary Millsap's book Optimizing Oracle
Performance.

Dennis Williams