Re: Can resizing datafiles affect the shared pool?

  • From: Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:24:47 +0300

Hi Tanel

I thought that the logical to physical maps are held in the ASM instance, not in the database instance, so increasing the data file will not impact the database shared pool.
Shooting my mouth off  ?????????

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

Tanel Poder wrote:
Ok, I'll elaborate - the story goes like that:

1) You current ASM extent pointer array is let say 1MB in shared pool (this is the area which maps logical ASM datafile addresses to physical ASM disk offsets) 2) Now you extend datafiles much larger - therefore you will have more ASM extent pointers, thus you need to increase ASM extent pointer array size 3) Oracle allocates relatively large chunks of memory from shared pool for that - potentially flushing out more cursors than regular small chunk allocations would do