RE: Calculating Physical memory for Oracle Sessions

  • From: "Best, David" <David.Best@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <anuragdba@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:36:16 -0500

I hit a problem similar to this but on a windows environment.
Unfortunately unless we upgrade the hardware and OS were stuck with 3GB
of Ram.  For a rough guide I use the calculation below:

Virtual Bytes for oracle = Process Overhead (approximately 100 MB) +
Thread Stack (1 MB x #of threads) +
Total SGA + Total PGA

One thing I noticed is that you won't be able to reach the maximum
amount of memory because of fragmentation.. On windows I believe the
limit is about 3.2GB but we start seeing sessions refused when total
virtual memory used hits around 2.9+GB.