RE: CVE-2012-1675 (Oracle 11gR2 RAC) - Actual Risk?

  • From: Eren Bayazitoglu <erenb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx" <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>, "dbmangler@xxxxxxxxx" <dbmangler@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:14:04 -0230

Good point Brendon. The risk for an external threat is pretty much minimized
through a set of security layers such as the Firewall, anti-virus, etc.
However, the risk still exists internally. Trusting an insider (such as
non-production user for testing, development, etc.) is important to establish,
but it doesn't reduce the risk.

The question is, does the insider need access to the sensitive information?
Testing and development teams can still carry out their duties with masked data
(realistic, but obfuscated, so it's no longer sensitive).

Major analyst Gartner evaluated masking vendors and came up with a Top 5, might
want to check that out.

Cheers!

Eren Bayaz
Data Security Consultant

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Andrew Kerber

I am in agreement that the actual risk is fairly limited for most instances
since everyone is behind a firewall these days