Re: CRS install failing

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:55:05 -0400

William Wagman wrote:
Mladen,
I guess I didn't complete my sentences. After restarting the rawdevices service the CRS installation was successful. I still don't understand what the problem was but the restart resolved it. There are still many things about RAC which are mysterious to me. Thanks.
Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx
(530) 754-6208

Bill, I had several encounters with RAC (version 9 and 10) where I had to install the sucker. It is a sheer lottery. The product is immature, lousily documented and extremely hard to install. Oracle has bought TruCluster64 from HP (formerly DEC) and now wants to implement it in their databases. ASM and cssd are the very first implementation. I can wholeheartedly recomend K. Gopalakrishnan's RAC handbook in the Oracle Press edition, an excellent book. Installing RAC 10g is baptism by fire and the product will, hopefully, stabilize in the next version or two. On the plus side, when the product stabilizes, you will be an expert, able to charge $100/hour. On the minus side, if you have in mind the way that the world is going, it is questionable whether $100 will buy you a gallon of gasoline. You might need to park
your car on a beachfront property in Las Vegas or Denver.