RE: CREATE DATABASE LINK privilege discussion

  • From: "Storey, Robert (DCSO)" <RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:24:21 -0500

One of the things we are working on here in Metro is the very concept of
separating Production and Development.  One of the items we are writing
into the policy is that there will be no connection between the dev and
production systems. When possible, dev will be on separate network
segments, hardware bases, etc.  The two worlds are not allowed to meet.

I have two boxes on my desk.  One connects to my dev machines, one to
production. I work through my file server if I need to move data from
one to the other.  No links or drive mappings.  Export from production,
copy it to a file server folder, then copy from there to my development
server.  Yes, the file server becomes a semi link, but no direct connect
between the box.  Depending on size of file, I will most times use my
jump drive to transfer the data.

Don't know how other businesses do it, but our discussions were basing
off the ISO standards.