RE: CPU upgrade caused application slow down

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:31:29 -0400

Is your shop using system statistics (dbms_stats) in its plans.  If so did
you regenerate them after you up upgraded the cpu?

If the cpu's are faster then more data can be rushed to the end-user network
which can only handle the same load as before the cpu upgrade since I gather
you only increased the speed to the disk and not to and from the customer
IP's.

You mentioned rebuilding one large table, which brings up the possibility
that some other objects also received maintenance during this time period.
The resulting new statistics or failure to update statistics for affected
objects may also be resulting in some less than optimal plans.  This might
be worth looking at since individual tests you ran show improvement.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --