RE: CPU count vs. CPU clock speed

  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:18:32 -0800

>>>It was DEC who was the first one with the real SMP. VAX 6200
>>>with then revolutionary XMI bus was the first true SMP box
>>>and it came about in 1990 or so.

I will never make disparaging remarks about DEC. I
was a big fan. But I have to call you cold here. DEC
was in NO way credited with the first SMP. The Sequent
B8000 based on Motorola NS32016 processors was indeed
the first commercial SMP. There should still be one in
the Smithsonian in fact if they still do that port of the
Computer Exhibit.  The B8000 was shipping in
the 1984 timeframe in pretty large volume.

They usually get it right in academia as depicted in
slide 21 here:

http://www.ecs.umass.edu/ece/tessier/courses/669/lect02-ece669.pdf