Re: CPU Time

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Active DBA" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 15:01:40 -0000

The question is almost meaningless.

Note first that the report is heading "Top 5 TIMED events"
not "Top 5 WAIT events".

Now consider this - if you have used 4 CPU seconds
in 1 elapsed second, what percentage of your CPU
have you used ?  It depends on the number of CPUs

If you have waited for Disk I/O for 20 seconds in one
elapsed second, how long (on average) has each
user waited ? It depends on the number of concurrent
users requesting disk I/O in that period.

It was (in some ways) a big mistake for Oracle to put
the CPU usage exactly where they did; although it is
a very important number to have available when you
are looking at the wait events.

Ignore the CPU percentage from statspack. Factor
in the number of CPUs, the number of concurrent
active users, the elapsed time of the report.  And even
then you haven't shown any reason why you might
need to change anything.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Public Appearances - schedule updated Dec 23rd 2004