Re: COTS Control

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:27:03 +0000

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:40:33 -0500, Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Make sure that both databases are exactly the same.  Release to test and
> make sure business users are doing adequate testing.  Run the same
> release in the same way to production.  If the databases are exactly the
> same then it should work.

Cheers Paula,

actually ensuring that the databases are the same is (relatively) easy
- and a reason why I want to spring RMAN10 on my colleagues. Its the
various patch levels of libraries/executables;environment settings;
ad-hoc reports etc that I'm really concerned about. Stuff that has
versions but isn't designed with source control in mind.

A while back I moved a 3 tier app from test to production, this was a
36 stage process and I screwed up one of the stages. Helpfully the new
features that the release introduced weren't actually used for 3
months, when they came to be used we got small but significant errors
that didn't occur in test. OK so we picked it up after about a week,
but the question that was put to me was "how can we audit the live and
or test systems so we *know* that they are the same". In an
environment where we have source and source control this is doable. I
didn't, and don't, have a good answer. Now we did learn some lessons -
like don't go live 3 months before you need to and expect a
multi-stage process to be implanted in people's minds - but I ought to
be able to say, yes this app has the same db, the same executables and
the same environment as test. It *will* perform the same functions in
the same way, unless testing was inadequate/unimaginative.  If I test
something i ought to be sure that the live implementation will be the
same - and be able to show that it was (or wasn't :( ).

BTW the *databases* were the same - some com+ components were the
incorrect version.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA