RE: CEO's head in the Cloud

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mark.powell2@xxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:01:54 -0400

As Jeremiah puts it in another email, there really is no dependence on
specific versions of software - Oracle is just trying to make it easy
for you to test Oracle on EC2.

As far as outsourcing vs. cloud vs. insourcing - I do know a number of
people who are very happy with their EDS/Perot Systems (now Dell)/IBM GS
managed facility.  I also know roughly the same number who found it was
a complete waste of money and insourced as soon as they could.

I think the success of any of these strategies - in-house, outsourced,
cloud, some combination of the three - depends on the organizational
makeup, maturity, and how they like to structure their costs.

For example, I have several customers that try to own as little hardware
as possible, as they don't want an asset on their books to depreciate,
so they use EC2 as a way to take that cost from a CapEx to an OpEx
expense (I'm not enough of an accountant to weigh on the sensibility of
this).

In addition, consider at a minimum the dev/test scenarios something like
EC2 offers.  Need an environment to dry run your 10gR2->11gR2 upgrade?
Spin up a box, test, spin it back down - only pay for a few hours of
runtime.  Want to give a developer a sandbox environment for a week?
Spin it up, let them use it, spin it back down.  One week of cost.

Matt

Sender: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

regards,

Freek D'Hooge