Re: CDC performance - synchronous vs. asynchronous hotlog

  • From: Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 08:54:32 +0300

Are you talking about ONE table or many?
If you are talking about ONE table, I would leave CDC alone and do it with a trigger on the table.

Anyway, from my experience, I will use the KISS principle and avoid add streams to the mix. IMHO, async is good when you replicate to *another* database and do not want your application to go down in case there are problems in the other side.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

Aaron Leonard wrote:
All, I'm looking for some performance advice on Change Data Capture (CDC) modes. I'm new to CDC and have been tasked with setting it up in an environment (10.2.0.4 EE on OEL) where the change table will reside in the same database (and same schema) as the source table. This leaves us with the option of 2 CDC modes, Synchronous and 'Asynchronous Hotlog'.

I've read general statements saying that using 'Asynchronous Hotlog' provides some performance gains over Synchronous. However, given that Async Hotlog requires additional logging and the use of streams to/from the same database where Synchronous does not, I question whether or not there is there a significant difference. Thoughts?

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject.  Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks!
Aaron