RE: CBO irregularity

  • From: "Raghu Kota (WBTQ)" <RKota@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:43:58 -0400

Good explanation!! Thank you. I don't think its bad, sometimes we are joining
millions of rows from different tables. Iam happy with my database.

From: Raghu Kota (WBTQ) <rkota@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:16:26 -0400
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

In my ERP Oracle database I see most of the sql with USE_NL, is that bad??

-          Don't use plan-restricting hints, except in test situations
where you're trying to cause bad performance. For example, don't use
hints like RULE, [ USE_NL, INDEX, USE_HASH, FULL, AND_EQUAL, etc. in
production.

If you really want plan stability, stored outlines can give you that.
But the adaptive intelligence of a well-informed and properly
functioning CBO is a smarter long-term decision except in rare cases.