RE: CBO irregularity

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:52:00 -0500

Rachel
   Please forgive my question, but I'm still fairly new to this 3-ring
circus. My objective is to refresh the staging environment by recovering the
production backup. This will accomplish two objectives:
   1) Create an exact duplicate of production.
   2) Test the production backup, a vital task which never seems to get done
otherwise.
   I have always been opposed to the idea of staging being a subset of the
production data. While it sounds good in theory, I feel there are too many
problems with this approach. And you can't test your backup.
   If you see any flaws in my logic, please let me know. Naturally, in the
hurly-burly of the daily life of a DBA, the ideal is not always met. If is
tempting to feel the staging database isn't yet stale so doesn't need
refreshed immediately, even though the commitment is to refresh it before a
large implementation. The development environment of course is a whole
different issue, usually treated as a developer playground.