Re: Business Objects Vs Oracle Reports for batch reports

  • From: david wendelken <davewendelken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 13:05:05 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

>My main issue is performance; how BO fares with Oracle Reports. I heard BO
>does the joins on the client side;

That is not completely true.

Be aware that many Crystal Reports (CR) programmers are woefully deficient in
their SQL skills.
They use the query generators built into the product with no understanding of
how the query works.
Their mindset is "do it in CR", so they will do all processing in CR because
that is what they know.
Much of the advice you will get from the CR forums (www.Tek-Tips.com has
several excellent ones) is biased by this ignorance of how to approach the
problem from the sql side of things.

It is possible to build a query by hand and put it into CR.  The query can be
pretty sophisticated.
UI support for this capability is rather sad - it's harder to do than it needs
to be and not very sophisticated about changes to the underlying query.  If you
go this route, do as much formatting as possible in the query to minimize
rework in the layout editor.

CR is far superior to Oracle Reports (OR) when it comes to building a simple
report easily.
It's much easier to do easy things in CR.

OR has much more capability.  It's much easier to do hard things in OR.
Poor to average-skilled programmers don't tend to like it, because it takes a
data-centric view of building a report, and CR takes a printed page view of the
task.  I consider OR to be a much more versatile product.
In addition, the way CR handles allowable parameter values is simply laughable
- except to the poor sods who have to maintain the addition of 1 new code value
to 200 reports that all use that parameter.

But - unless you really need the extra power that OR gives you, the training
investment in CR probably outweighs the extra capability.   Training most
programmers is expensive.

Hope that helps.