Bulk Rollback

  • From: "fahd mirza" <fahd-m@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Active DBA" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:01:33 +0500

Hi Listers,
     I am running Oracle 8.1.7 on Win2K. I often encounter problems regarding
the user errors. The problem is that often users issue an update statement  of
say 2 Lakh plus records and then inadvertantly close the window and the
performance of database is slowed down to very alarming pace. When Oracle
finishes up the roll back the database comes to its normal. But the rolling
back takes a long period of time (1 or 2 hours). Also SMON generates a trace
file, which says "5 slaves are busy on 1 dead transaction". But there is no
transaction marked as dead in v$transaction.
   I understand the best course of action is to train the users, but is there
any way one can speed up the rollback process. Please enlighten me. thanks.
regards,
Fahd