Re: Block size qn

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 23:23:57 -0400

Also, Oracle software is tested on 8K database so a 16K specific bug may remain undiscovered until the lucky DBA in search of an adventure discovers it on his production database. Then the life will  turn into the support nightmare on the elm street. However, if you have a non-Exadata box with huge amount of memory and fast flash storage that can read more than 1MB in one operation, then I would consider 16K.

On 6/10/20 8:37 PM, Herring, Dave (Redacted sender HerringD for DMARC) wrote:

We have a medium db (about 80TB) sitting on a 4-node X-8 system.  Oracle reviewed performance as part of our move from X-4 system and one of their recommendations was to move to an 8K block size (currently it's 16K).  Their reasoning?  When you use a non-8K block size on Exadata you bypass various optimizations that Exadata could perform. Unfortunately they didn't elaborate on what those optimizations are related to 8K block size and we didn't have a downtime window that would allow us to change the block size.  Still, if you're on Exadata it's something to factor.

Regards,

Dave