Re: Block corruption while rebuilding the tablespace

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:46:44 -0700

Anant,

It would be helpful to provide OS, OS version, and database version, so
let's assume 10g or above...

One thing you might consider doing is reading up on the package
DBMS_REPAIR, although despite the name, the package doesn't "repair"
corruption, it just "fences" the corrupted blocks so that the rest of
the object can be used.  I've always likened this to taking your pet to
the veterinarian to get "fixed";  the pet returns with something missing
but is less troublesome.  In this respect then, if you just want to
recover the rest of the table and give up any data in that corrupted
block, then consider the SKIP_CORRUPT_BLOCKS procedure in DBMS_REPAIR,
which may allow your ALTER TABLE ... MOVE command to succeed with the
move, but without the data from the corrupted block(s).

If you want to try to recover the data which used to be in that block,
then you'll need to read up on RMAN "object point-in-time" recovery
techniques or, as has already been suggested, the BLOCKRECOVER capability.

Good luck!

-Tim